Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I'm a Model, You Know What I mean...

Oh the life of a model it's so tough -- not eating for 24 hours (need to have my inside as svelty as possible), long days on the "set", trying to be good natured even though I'm starving and uncomfortable, dealing with the paparazzi (ok maybe they aren't here for me but just because all the stars come to this hospital), the list goes on...*sigh*

So maybe I'm not quite a super model and I don't look anything like Gisele, but I am here at my all day internal GI photo shoot. I arrived at the ungodly hour of 6:30 a.m., which means I left my house at 5:30. I was on time because it reiterated the importance of this more than once in the paper work, but then, wonder of wonders I had to wait for the people to get here to check me in. So by the time they got in and got me registered it was more like 6:50 a.m. The funniest part about this, I don't need to state the annoying part I'm sure that's obvious, is that when the registration lady came in, I was sitting in the dark and she just looked at me and said how did you get in here. I was a little taken aback and said, "Through the door, it was unlocked." I mean seriously what kind of question is that, although I would like the super power of snapping and being wherever I want I don't actually have it, how did she think I got in there. Don't mess with me at that time of the morning.

But I digress, I of course was the only patient here at that time and the nurse took me back. She was super nice, but I felt a little bad when she told me they don't usually do the capsule studies on Wednesday but my referring drs office begged them, so then I felt bad for sending negative vibes to the receptionist, she probably hates me just as much for making her come in so early on a Wed...ooops. 
Anyway, so the nurse hooked me up to a bunch of electrodes (she told me she should have brought the kids monitor for me) and then strapped this monstrous monitor to my stomach (see above for example of entire set up, I'm not walking around with that computer, just my laptop). See picture. They did not tell me to wear an oversized sweatshirt so it's just hanging out like some alien baby until I return it at 3. After I was wired, she showed me the pill, it was literally the size of a vitamin. Here's a pic, I totally forgot to take one myself, it was way too early for me to think so this is from the internet.
After I swallowed the pill and half the bottle of water she gave me (Hey I haven't had anything since midnight) she had me walk around for 15 minutes -- this was a lovely site, here I am with the big monitor strapped to my stomach (it's on the outside of my shirt) holding my butt, walking around the building. Thankfully there weren't too many people. I then went back and laid on my right side for about 45 minutes (caught a few more zzzs) and then the nurse told me to come back at 3 p.m. today but not to leave a 3 mile radius.

So here I am at just about 10 a.m., I've already been on the loose for about an hour and a half. I'm sitting in the very nice lobby. Going to go across the street in a bit first to buy a big sweatshirt so people stop staring at me, then for a pedicure and maybe catch a movie. As I said, oh the life of a model. 

Here's a little more info on today's photo shoot for your reading enjoyment. I don't know when I'll get the results but I'll keep you posted. Thank you Nidia for getting me in today, you are awesome.

I'm off to do my little thing on the cat walk, yeah on the cat walk...


Laura said...

you are cracking me up. I can just picture you walking around modeling your fancy gear. have fun today!

Spanky Manky said...

wha? did you have them take the photo of you? it's pretty funny!