Thursday, September 30, 2010

When Being Good is Bad

I'll admit it, I'm a goody two-shoes, always have been (but hopefully not in the annoying sense of that characteristic -- I'm cool with others doing their thing, but for me it's a whole other story.) I'm a rule follower and being respectful to people is top of my priorities in my daily interactions. I don't want people to think I'm rude or annoying and I want to make sure I exhaust all options before being the squeaky wheel.

Well if you've followed this blog for any period of time, you know that I've been respectful, sometimes to a fault, of my doctors. I've tried everything, but when push comes to shove I take matters in to my own hands, because I know if I don't ultimately do what's best for my health, I'm the one who suffers the most.

Then there's the hubs, my silent champion, but also extremely respectful and willing to give the benefit of the doubt in most occasions. But festering when people insinuate I'm not as sick as I am, or if I just did BLANK I would be better, or when doctors make me feel like it's all in my head. Randomly he'll send me articles, that in his way say, see Al we are right, we are doing the right thing and you aren't crazy.

Today he sent me a great article about being a "bad" patient, and how it just might save your life. I encourage you to check it out here.

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be the good girl and I don't feel one ounce bad when I have to get all Annoying Al to get the care I deserve (Ok maybe I still get a little guilt, but the DESPERATE NEED to get well wins!)

How's that for rebellious behavior, maybe those goody two-shoes aren't that shiny, and I like that:)

1 comment:

Mrs.Newton said...

Great article and so true! I love the part about you paying for a service. Something to always keep in mind. Good for you for being "bad." XOXO