Tuesday, April 27, 2010


So I'm pretty convinced I have a huge Kick Me sign on my back. Ok so maybe it's not real but it sure seems to be out there in the cosmos that it's the thing to do.

If you saw my post yesterday, you saw I was a little on the grouchy side;) I am worn down both physically and emotionally but I thought it was just a culmination of a lot of stuff (and that's still pretty true.) But at about 10:30 p.m. last night I started with acute, sharp pains right where Mr. Abscess lives, they came out of no where. I thought it was just a passing thing and went to bed. I really love the river De Nile...

Well throughout the night they got worse, the area was hot, super soar to the touch and by 4 a.m. when I got up to go to the bathroom I could not stand up straight. I tried to go back to sleep but by 5 the pain was so intense I had to take a pain pill and broke down and woke the hubs up. (Both of those last items are huge indicators that I'm really not feeling well.)

A little after 5 a.m. I called the on-call surgeon (another thing I don't do unless I'm really in a bad way) and they said to head on down to SD and to get there by 8. I hobbled around the house and got some things together, the hubs as always jumped in and took great care of me. There were of course tears of pain and frustration, and he handles all with such ease. He's amazing.

We got down and saw British surgeon dude, who assisted on my abscess surgery. He poked around after doing some local anesthesia and couldn't get anything out. I practically jumped off the table when he touched the area. He said that what is probably happening is that the infection is back and the pain is the precursor to the actual abscess filling up and draining out. He prescribed me two antibiotics to help attack the infection right away and said to call back tomorrow if I haven't seen any significant improvement. It will be off to a CT scan if I'm still feeling the same way.

As a reminder, looking back, this is acute pain is how the whole abscess thing started way back in November.

British surgeon dude again explained to us that they just don't know why this would have happened. Things like this usually don't happen around the stoma. He doesn't think it will be a problem long term, but we do need to figure out how to get rid of it. GRRRRRRR. Yes I get it, it's not common, I'm weird and my body is difficult but when is enough, enough?

Anybody else want to Kick Me? Go right ahead, because catching a freaking break or being thrown a bone obviously is not in my immediate future.

Needless to say, Oscar is still hanging around today, she's just hunched over and hobbling all around with her infectious self -- wish I could say I had an infectious smile instead. Hopefully tomorrow really will be a better day, until then I'm going back in my trash can and closing the lid.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It must seem like forever since everything felt on an even keel. But there is an end to everything even if it feels like it's not in sight right now. You are totally anc completely entitled to the grumps but try to not let them consume you. I hope that the anti-biotics have started to kick in and the pain is subsiding. I'd come over for a visit if I didn't live in a different country. :O) Hugs.