Friday, May 22, 2009

Guess Where I am...

You were going to say on your way to New York City of course, getting ready to set sail for the beautiful Caribbean. WRONG! I am currently being held hostage as a patient at Los Alamitos Med Center. I've been here since Wednesday night. I know you think I'm playing some cruel joke on you, but no the joke's on me. But good news is, I'm going to make them discharge me today and the hubby spent yesterday afternoon switching our flights, etc and we are leaving tomorrow and we'll still make the cruise which leaves on Sunday afternoon.

So what you ask has my crazy body done to me now. Well it all started Tuesday morning, I woke up around 4 with some pretty bad cramping, but I was able to get back to sleep and when I got up the pain was gone. I went on with my day and that afternoon the Hubs and I went to the LIVE taping of the American Idol finals -- I know, he has some pretty sweet perks at his job. It was so fun and I was so glad we got to experience it. I felt my usual, just tired and we went to bed at our normal time.

Woke up again at 4 or so on Wed morning with the cramps, took me a while to get back to sleep and when I woke up the nagging pain was still there. I kind of had a feeling what was happening since I've had the feeling before, I thought it was an intestinal blockage but I thought it would pass and I just pushed through the pain, I had too I had a big afternoon to attend to. Two of my awesome girlfriends -- J and A's moms -- took me on a great adventure, but that's a whole other post. Anyway, by the end of the adventure I couldn't stand up straight and things were going downhill fast. After a lot of pushing and fighting it (Yes I'm stubborn and sometimes very stupid) I begrudgingly allowed them to drive me home. They made me realize that driving white-knuckled all hunched over was not safe for me or the other people on the road. Thanks Ladies.

Got home, the hubby was home, and the pain continually got worse. My whole stomach felt contracted and then I would get these horrifying waves of pain on top of that. I tried all my tricks to pass a blockage -- I've had a few before but eventually they all passed without hospital intervention -- I took a hot bath, used the heating pad, drank lots of grape juice, walked, I mean shuffled around the dining room table of a few times. Nothing worked and I new we were in trouble, I hadn't "gone" to the bathroom since the morning -- and if you know me or have been reading for sometime you know that's NOT normal. Finally around 10 p.m. I gave in and let the hubs take me to the ER.

It took them a while to get my pain under control, and after a CT scan and no bowel sounds, they said I had to be admitted. BOO, the only thing I was worried about was our vacation! They said a surgeon and a doctor would come see me in the am. WHAT a surgeon, A: Um no I'm not having surgery and B: Um no I'm not going to see A** Hole surgeon (I explained this and everyone here was very understanding.) They finally got me a bed around 4:30 a.m. and the poor hubby wearily and finally got to go home. 

Yesterday morning the dr came in and said that yes I did have a blockage but because of my surgical history it was important to try and get it to pass on its own...thank god! I was determined that this would happen, I didn't even get upset when he said I had to get an NG tube (up my nose and down my throat and into the stomach.) I let them put the tube in, it sucks, it hurts, it's uncomfortable. I threw up about 4-5 times with the tube in and that was loads of fun, but finally at about 3:30 p.m. yesterday "things" finally started to move along. Yeah, the blockage was moving it's way out. The NG tube and the puke helped relieve some pressure. My awesome day nurse even worked double-time to get it approved to remove the tube! I thought for sure they would let me out last night, but NO. 

I'm still here, dealing with nausea and horrible gas pains that I can't get out of me, but they WILL let me out today. We are not missing our vacation, it's bad enough that we had to make adjustments. But that's my body for you, always trying to mess things up. This is exactly why we don't travel and when we do it's in a safe and very stable environment...you just never know what kind of shenanigans I'll come up with.

That's the long gist of it for now. Next time I post, hopefully it will be from paradise or better when I get home from paradise. Happy Memorial Day.

Oh and if anybody knows of a transplant where you can trade your immune system and total insides and still keep the shell of your body, I'm all in!

1 comment:

Natalia Ritchie said...

Sorry you had to go through all that. Been there, done that, and it's awful!! Glad you get to go on your vacation.
'blockages' are a CF specialty, and after years of dealing with them I can say, honey, I feel your pain. Hope things keep moving as they should in paradise!!